- Prep time30 minutes
- Servings10 portions
- 4 egg whites
- 200 grams golden caster sugar
- 100 grams golden caster sugar
- 100 grams flaked almonds
- 8 plums
- 3 tbsps golden caster sugar
- 2 tbsps masala (optional)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 orange juice and zest
- 4 tbsps icing sugar
- 2 pots Elmlea double cream
- 1/2 tsps ground cinnamon
|Energy (kcal)||440 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||1838 kJ|
|Protein (g)||5.1 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||47.3 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||45.1 g|
|Sugar (g)||42.7 g|
|Fibre (g)||2.1 g|
|Fat (g)||27.3 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||14.2 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||11.6 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||9.6 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||2.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||82 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||45 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.11 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||1055 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||5.1 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||74 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.54 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||217 mg|
- First, make the meringue. Preheat the oven to 120C/100C fan/gas ½. Line a large baking tray with parchment and draw a 20cm circle in the middle.
- In a scrupulously clean glass bowl, whisk the egg whites with an electric whisk until they resemble fluffy clouds and have a stiff, firm peak when the whisk is lifted out. Gradually add the sugar to the eggs, 1tbsp at a time, whisking well between each addition until you have a glossy, marshmallow-like mixture.
- Dab a little meringue into each corner of the baking tray and use to stick down the parchment. Spoon the meringue into the middle of the circle and smooth out to the edges using the back of a dessert spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 2hrs 30mins - 3hrs until the meringue is crisp and lifts off the parchment easily. Leave to cool fully in the oven to prevent cracking.
- Meanwhile, make the brittle. Grease a baking tray with oil. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a high heat, add the sugar and allow to dissolve and turn a deep caramel colour, swirling the pan occasionally. Sprinkle over the almonds, stir briefly to coat evenly in the caramel then tip on the baking tray and leave to set fully before snapping into small chunks.
- For the topping, preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. In a small roasting tray, toss together the plums, golden caster sugar, masala, cinnamon stick and the orange juice. Cover with foil and roast for 35-40mins until the plums are soft, basting in the juices occasionally. Cool fully.
- Whisk the icing sugar and Elmlea Double together until light and fluffy and it holds its shape.
- To serve, spoon the Elmlea into the centre of the meringue and top with the plums. Drizzle with the plum cooking juices and sprinkle with the almond brittle and dust with icing sugar and ground cinnamon.
TIP: Egg whites from older eggs make better, more stable meringues