Vegan Birthday Cake
Celebrate your Birthday with Flowers
- Prep time50 minutes
- Servings8 portions
- 225g Flora Plant Unsalted
- 300 g caster sugar
- 225g vanilla dairy free yoghurt
- 225mls soya milk
- 450 g self raising sponge flour
- 2 and a half teaspoons baking powder
- 75 g ground almonds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 270 ml Elmlea Plant Double
- 50 g icing sugar
- Half teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 tablespoons strawberry conserve
- edible fresh flowers
- caster sugar to sprinkle
- 30g pistachios roughly chopped
|Energy (kcal)||247 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||1032 kJ|
|Protein (g)||2.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||51.3 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||50.1 g|
|Sugar (g)||47.6 g|
|Fibre (g)||1.2 g|
|Fat (g)||4.7 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.4 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||4.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||2.9 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||1.1 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||94 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.24 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.9 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||112 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.54 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||75 mg|
- Preheat the oven to 180c or 160c fan. Grease and line two 8 inch sandwich cake tins
- Beat the Flora Plant and sugar together with an electric mixer for 3 mins. Add the yoghurt a tablespoon at a time, beating well. Then add the milk slowly, again beating well. If the mixture curdles then add a little flour and beat again.
- Sift in the remaining flour and baking powder with a metal spoon. Then gently fold in the ground almonds. If the mixtures feels a little stiff then add a further two tablespoons of Soya milk to soften.
- Divide the mixture between the tins, smooth the top and bake for approx. 35/40 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a cooling rack and leave until completely cool.
- Beat the cream until soft peaks form, add the cream of tartar and icing sugar and beat again until a smooth consistency that holds its shape.
- Spread the strawberry conserve on the top of one cake and 3 or 4 tablespoons of cream on the other cake and sandwich together. Spread the rest of the cream on the top of the cake and sides of the cake. Using a palette knife smooth the cream on the top and with a paddle action make a pattern. Using a plain edge scrapper smooth the excess cream off the sides and then finish with a combed scrapper.
- Decorate with crystilised Flowers and chopped pistachio nuts.
- Equal amounts of 30g caster sugar and 30 mls water heated until clear. Leave to cool. Paint flowers gently and sprinkle with caster sugar. Leave to dry.